With Waco’s explosive tourism growth for the past several years, and high hotel occupancy rate, developers have stepped forward to build an abundance of new hotels. The destination as a whole generated 2.6 million visitors in 2019, as measured through attendance figures at major attractions.
Waco’s hotel occupancy is in the top 5 of all cities in Texas.
Here is a recap of area hotels in the works:
Hotels opened in late 2018
Totaling 212 rooms, these hotels opened in late 2018.
- Hilton Garden Inn – 111 rooms
- La Quinta Del Sol – 101 rooms
Hotels opened in late 2019
- Hyatt Place – 125 rooms – Opened December, 2019. Located on Bagby Ave. near Cottonwood Creek Golf Course.
- Towneplace Suites Lacy Lakeview – 85 rooms – Opened December, 2019. Located at I-35 and Loop 340 North, next to Atwood’s.
Hotels Under Construction
Here are hotels in the market that are actively under construction.
- Aloft – 117 rooms – nearing completion. At 900 S. 11th St.
- Springhill Suites – 125 rooms – under construction at I-35 and University Parks Drive
- Residence Inn – 104 rooms, nearing completion. Located at Central Texas Marketplace.
- TRU by Hilton – 98 rooms – nearing completion. Located at Central Texas Marketplace.
- Cambria Suites – 132 rooms (Near Bridge St. & Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.)
- EVEN hotel – 128 rooms (Near Bridge St. & Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.)
- Element Hotel by Westin – 105 rooms (on the Circle)
These projects have been announced and covered in the Waco media.
- Holiday Inn Express – 101 rooms (Near Bridge St. & Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.)
- Embassy Suites – 168 rooms (former Downtown 301 space)
- Grant Hotel – 354 rooms (near Martin Luther King Jr Blvd and Highway 77)
- Hyatt Place Downtown Waco – 110 rooms (near Embassy Suites)
Summary of Waco’s Hotel Market
Starting Hotel Supply: 3,711 rooms
2018 Openings: Hilton Garden Inn & La Quinta: 212 rooms
2019 Openings: Hyatt Place Bagby and TownePlace Suites: 210 rooms
Seven hotels under construction: 809 rooms
Four announced projects: 830 rooms
Expected ending total room supply in the market: 5,772